Friday, 18 May 2012
You drink at home – GREAT!
Whilst the health authorities, the government and experts lament about the number of people drinking ‘behind close doors’, if you’re a heavy drinker and want to modify your habit, there some great news!
It’s easier to modify at home than in a social environment!
Like the old saying, your home is your castle, you’re the one who wears the trousers there. You are the King or the Queen, the President, the Dictator (or however you’d like to call yourself) of the environment there. You control everything and that’s great news for modifying your drinking.
In Your Castle. You control Policy!
· You control what you buy.
· You control what and how much alcohol to store.
· You can control the labelling on your alcohol.
· You can have messages in your house. Like in Animal Farm “Two legs bad, Four legs good”. For example “one drink is good, any more is bad” or “More than two, Alcohol makes you feel like poo” (Anything that helps you remember how too much alcohol makes you feel). “Alcohol steals my time”. You already know in what you don’t like about ‘drinking’, use that knowledge!!!
· You control how alcohol is displayed. Perhaps, it could be locked up, so it’ll give you a couple of extra seconds to think about drinking.
· If there’s a soft drink you like (doesn’t have to be sugary), make sure you have a supply of it.
So take control. Modify your drinking. It’s easier in the home. You’re the Boss!
Next time – How I learned the skill of ‘stopping after one drink in my home’.